The VCCS Direct Enrollment policy places students into college-level math and English classes and provides co-requisite support to help students be successful in their classes.
Direct Enrollment achieves the following:
- eliminates reliance on a placement test by using multiple placement measures such as high school GPA and college entrance exams (SAT/ACT/GED) for recent high school graduates,
- trusts the judgement of non-traditional adult students (more than 5 years removed from high school) on their academic abilities,
- supports students with pro-active advising, and
- provides "Just-In-Time" support as students navigate through gatekeeper math and English courses
Direct Enrollment still offers traditional developmental education courses:
- for students who do not meet the minimum high school GPA or standardized test score requirements and/or
- for students who feel they lack the knowledge and skills to be successful in college English or math classes after consultation with a MGCC Academic Advisor.
To determine course placement, students must complete the VCCS Advising Survey found in their acceptance email after completing the MGCC Admissions Application. The survey takes less than three minutes to complete and students will use their 澳门mgm美高梅官方网站 login credentials to complete the survey.
Traditional students (0-5 years removed from high school) will be asked to enter their cumulative high school GPA and the highest level of math taken in high school. Non-traditional students (more than 5 years after high school graduation) will be shown examples of English and math problems and given the opportunity to evaluate their academic readiness. MGCC encourages students to print or screen shot their results so they can have an informed conversation with their academic advisor.